Barney McKenna 1939 - 2012
- A brand new documentary - John Sheahan: A Dubliner - will be shown on RTE One Monday April 15th, 9.35 PM. This documentary will include rare and previously unseen footage of John Sheahan and The Dubliners. Read full press release
- John Sheahan will play five concerts in Denmark in April with the duo Jane & Shane
- Barney McKenna will be remembered on the first anniversary - Ronan Collins show on RTE Radio 1 Friday 5th, Trim Castle Hotel Friday 5th, Mass in St. Patrick's Church, Trim Sunday 7th.
- The Dubliners' archive - The Dubliners are looking for audio/video recordings from the 60s - 80s. Read full story
- The Dublin Legends' concerts in February are cancelled. The dates are currently being rescheduled.
- Official retirement note from John Sheahan
- The Dubliners will play their last ever concerts in Dublin on Dec 28th, 29th and 30th, and their final performance will be at BBC2's Hootenanny show hosted by Jools Holland on Dec 31st.
The Dubliners will be celebrated and Barney McKenna remembered on TG4 on Christmay day at 9.15 pm. Guests include Imelda May. The Dubs and Imelda May - I wish I had someone to love me on YouTube. Complete press release here.
- 'Barney McKenna remembered' - is a tribute to the late Barney on Sunday 27th January in Dublin's iconic City Hall. Temple Bar Trad Fest is running the event with the McKenna family and all proceeds will go to the Barney McKenna Commemorative Trust. Some of the guests who will pay tribute to Barney are John Sheahan and the other members of the Dubliners, Sean Keane of the Chieftains, Liam O Maonlai, Gerry O Connor, the McKenna family and others yet to be announced.
- Cannon, Campbell, Watchorn & O'Connor - formerly of The Dubliners - concerts are being booked for 2013. See the concert dates here.
- The Dubliners - 50 years celebration concert DVD will be released on November 19th. Double dvd recorded live at Dublin's Vicar Street, and the last official recordings with Barney McKenna.
- Help collecting and completing the tour archive. E-mail with missing dates
- Two special concerts on Dec 29th and 30th at Vicar Street, Dublin will conclude the 50th anniversary tour
- The Major Minor records - A Drop of the Hard Stuff, More of the Hard Stuff, Drinkin' and Courtin' and At it again will be rereleased by EMI on cd for the first time. Release date is July 2nd.
- The tour goes ahead as planned - with special guest banjo man Gerry O'Connor
- The Dubliners' 50th anniversary tour
- Tribute to Barney on RTE's Céilí House with John Sheahan, Michael Howard and Gerry O'Connor
- The Dubliners will perform in honour of Barney McKenna at the National Concert Hall in Dublin Friday April 13th at the One City - One Book Celebrations.
- Sad, sad news - the great, one and only, Barney McKenna died peacefully on Thursday April 5th at his home in Howth, Dublin. Ar dheis Dé dá hanam.
- “It is with great sadness that The Dubliners announce the sudden passing of Barney McKenna this morning at his home in Howth, Co Dublin.
The band, his family and friends would like to thank everyone for their kind words and support. Words cannot describe how we all feel. He was one in a million. The greatest tenor banjo player of his generation. Barney spent his life travelling the world playing Irish music. He loved it. The world loved him. May he rest in peace"
The Dubliners will do their best to honour all the concert dates for the rest of the year.
Last update: April 4th 2013
Copyright © 1998, Terje Øye